Keene Flood Recovery Fund Operating Principles
To address individual, family, business and civic needs in recovering from Hurricane Irene during August 28-20, 2011 in the Town of Keene, NY that are not addressed by other insurance, FEMA, or government relief efforts.
The Adirondack Community Trust is processing all donations and grant payments. A Grant Review Committee, selected by the Keene Community Trust (KCT), is making grant decisions. KCT signature(s) are required by ACT for the release of funds.
Residents, property owners, businesses and civic facilities in the Town of Keene affected by Hurricane Irene.
Standards for Selection
Applications will be processed based on the immediacy of the need:
- Applicants needing immediate assistance with temporary housing, clothing, medications and the like will be addressed first. The Keene Food Pantry is handling food assistance.
- Crisis situations in businesses and self-employed needs for tools or equipment related to work.
- Applicants needing funds to get through a period of time before getting FEMA aid and/or insurance monies are in hand.
- Transportation problems, especially related to getting to work and/or school.
- Re-establishment of civic assets not covered by FEMA.
A five person Independent Grant Approval Committee made up of well-known and trusted civic leaders will be chosen by the Keene Flood Recovery Group to review and approve grants.
Individuals who might benefit, directly or indirectly, from a grant and people currently running for office are not eligible to serve on the Grant Approval Committee.
All applicants for assistance must provide personal identification (e.g., a driver’s license) and a completed application. Some applicants may be asked for additional documentation as the Committee deems necessary.
Our town is very small and we expect the Committee, or its referral network, will know the people submitting the application, their current situation and whether or not the grant request is reasonable given their current situation. If the applicant is unknown to any committee member or the referral network, additional documentation and/or a site visit will be needed.
Those seeking follow-up grants should be able to demonstrate how the initial grant was used.
The Committee may seek additional information from Town Officials or others to ensure these grants are proper and in alignment with, and in cooperation with, other flood recovery/relief efforts.